There is nothing better than an evening summer BBQ to spice things up. We have some favorite Mexican recipes that are always a hit with friends and family. Why not share some of your local food experiences and make that vacation pay off!
Mexican Inspired BBQ Sauce – Local Food Hack
This is one of our favorite Mexican food hacks, a BBQ sauce for ribs, chicken or pork chops that have a bit of Mexicana spice! It is easy and you can mix whichever salsa you brought back from the Riviera Maya with your favorite American BBQ sauce.
Take 1/2 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce, add 1/8 cup of Mexican salsa (our favorite is the Valentine brand salsa) add 1/8 packaged mole sauce (found in any Mexican grocery store both in the Riviera Maya and many US grocery stores) and 1 tsp habanero salsa is you want it spicy. Mix all ingredients together and use this new Mexican BBQ sauce hack on your meat. Love it!
Mexican BBQ Corn Hack
Esquites are a favorite Mexican street food that you can make right at home. Here is the recipe for Mexican corn with chile and lime.
- 6 tablespoons sour cream
- 4 limes cut in half and 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chile powder or ancho chile powder or a chile powder of your choice
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 8 ears of corn with husks
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Mix together sour cream, fresh lime juice, chile powder, and coarse kosher salt in small bowl. It is best to make this mixture ahead of time (at least 5 hours) so the flavors can blend well. Cover and chill in the fridge.
- Soak corn in water for a few minutes. Remove corn silk but keep the husk on the corn. Place corn with husks on a medium hot BBQ. Grill corn until husks are charred and beginning to pull away and corn is tender, turning frequently, about 10 minutes. Grill lime quarters until lightly charred, about 5 minutes.
- When corn is done, tear husks off. Place corn and lime on platter. Brush corn with crema-lime mixture. Sprinkle with cilantro. Serve any remaining sour cream spread with the corn.
Cocktail Hack -Pineapple Habanero Margarita
For habanero-pineapple infused tequila: Make this 3 or 4 days in advance of your BBQ
- 2 to 3 habanero peppers, chopped
- ¼ pineapple, cut into pieces
- 8 to 12 ounces tequila
- Place the habaneros and pineapple in a mason jar. Fill the jar with a silver/blanca tequila. Put a lid on jar and place in refrigerator for two to three days.
- Pineapple Habanero Margarita Ingredients:
- 3 ounces habanero-pineapple infused tequila (see recipe)
- 2 ounces triple sec
- 4 ounces pineapple juice
- 1/8 cup of fresh lime juice
- Pineapple wedges and lime wheels for garnish
- Sea salt for the rim
Mix all ingredients together, pour into a glass filled with ice and serve. This margarita is best served on the rocks. Blending decreases the flavor of the pineapple juice.
Do You Have a Mexican Food Hack?
These are some of our favorite Mexican food hacks and would love to find new recipes. Do you have a favorite food hack? Let us know. If are intrigued by Mexican food and want to try out a few authentic recipes, check out our recipe book, Eat Your Way Through the Riviera Maya.