Finding the perfect accommodations for your family while on vacation can be a challenge. It is hard to know what is best for your family, what would best suit your needs, your desires and of course your dreams. What you would pick for a couples getaway is very different from what you would pick for your family. Here is a list of things to keep in mind when looking for the perfect accommodations for your family vacation in the Riviera Maya.
1. Go beachfront! Watch over the kids while they play and you relax in the shade. Forgo having to pack up for the beach every day. Time for Lunch? Make lunch in your villa or vacation rental as call the kids in. The extra convenience of beach side accommodations saves you stress, time and money.
2. Take the bottom floor. If you are renting a vacation condo, take the bottom floor unit. This has you pool side or beach side without having to go up and down the stairs. YOur kids will love that they can run outdoors straight to the beach or pool and it is easy to watch over the family as they all do their thing!
3. Make sure you have a terrace. Whether you choose a hotel room, villa or condo, make sure you have a terrace so you can sit outdoors while the kids are napping, sleeping or resting. Don’t forgo private time with your partner in a romantic setting when you are in your vacation unit. Terraces are great to share a glass of wine, have a late dinner or just have a bit of private time when the kids are inside. You can still enjoy the weather and have a bit of vacation….just a bit!
4. Check if your vacation rental has beach toys for the kids. Many beachfront homes have toys for the kids. Double check with your vacation agent to ensure that you don’t have to purchase any beach toys when you are here. If you do wind up purchasing beach toys, leave them for the next family or donate them to a local not for profit. DIF is a city run family social services agency that could use beach toys for local kids.
5. Have your villa stocked with food before you arrive. You have no idea how the kids will travel, and finding a grocery store upon arrival could be a challenge when you are new to the Riviera Maya. Many vacation rental agents have access to this service and it is well worth it for the first shop! Do your own shopping after, as we find grocery stores to be a cultural experience, or just keep using a grocery service to take that chore off your plate.
These are great pointers for your first family vacation to the Riviera Maya. We love vacation villas for their flexibility and privacy. For a big family it is super to have everyone all together. Condos are our second choice. Enjoy planning your family vacation in the Riviera Maya as there are so many unique places that offer incredible villas and condos right on the ocean. Check out some of the condos here!