Posted February 12, 2014 by Kay Walten in Destination Weddings
For numerous reasons, 25% of couples getting married choose a destination wedding to exchange their vows. Still undecided as to whether or not you should take your special day to an exotic location? Consider these reasons to say “Yes!” to a destination wedding in the Riviera Maya.
1. Costs Less – Destination weddings, on average, cost $18,500 less than a traditional wedding. With such a tropical fantasy setting as the Riviera Maya, you don’t need to spend a lot on decorations. Wedding expenses in general (catering, music, decor, etc.) are less expensive in the Riviera Maya than in the United States or Canada. Spend that extra cash on a sailing tour or personalized flip flops for the wedding party!
2. More Time – With the celebration spread out over three or four days time instead of being crammed into 5 hours, you will have more time and more fun with your guests. Imagine a day of shopping Playa del Carmen’s famous 5th Avenue with your bridesmaids, or the groom and his buddies playing golf on one of the Riviera Maya’s fabulous courses or even sharing a big family and friends beach day that includes a catered picnic.
3. Less Stress – A destination wedding puts the planning in the hands of a resort or independent wedding coordinator familiar with the area and loaded with experience putting together events in that venue. As one of the most popular wedding destinations, planners and vendors in the Riviera Maya have been making wedding day dreams come true for decades. Being a little further away from the scene helps you to feel less inclined to micromanage and allows you to let the the professional handle it. Also, a destination wedding gives your parents a chance to relax and enjoy the festivities rather than host.
4. Wedding and Honeymoon in One – One fabulous location for your wedding becomes the romantic honeymoon destination as well. It’s also a bonus vacation for your guests! You won’t believe the lists of activities, tours and accommodations that are available in the Mayan Riviera for a week of wedding fun. No matter the ages of your guests, families or couples, there is so much for everyone to enjoy…and lots of romantic things for you to do.
5. More Intimate – The guests who make the time and incur the expense to attend your destination wedding are going to be the ones you are closest to. No fringe friends or relatives, just those who matter most.
6. More Flexibility – With a destination wedding, there are no expectations from guests, no advice from family members or traditions that need to be followed. Make it your own. The options to customize your day in the Riviera Maya are limitless from venues, to entertainment, to ceremonies…do something different, like a Mayan ceremony, that will celebrate your love in a unique way and surprise them all!
7. Awesome Photos – With lush tropical foliage, the azure Caribbean Sea and white sand beaches that stretch for miles, all setting the stage for your wedding celebration, just imagine how amazing those photos are going to look!
8. Perfect Choice for Second Marriages – If you or your betrothed (or both of you) have “been there, done that”, a destination wedding is the perfect way to make it feel like the first time, especially if one or both of you have children. A destination wedding/family vacation is an exciting way for blended families to begin their lives together.
9. Your wedding will be the one they talk about for years to come.
Get more information about Riviera Maya destination weddings with our FREE wedding planning guide.
Riviera Maya Activities (215)
Mexican Art (61)
Community Organizations (27)
Mexican Culture (176)
Mexico Destinations (124)
Family vacations (97)
Food & Drink (231)
Guest Bloggers (20)
Riviera Maya Photos (304)
Riviera Maya events (78)
Riviera Maya Services (62)
Sustainable Tourism (113)
Vacation tips (57)
Destination Weddings (30)
Costa Maya (13)
Loco Adventures (42)
Mayan Ruins (37)
Riviera Maya Destinations (247)
Community Announcements (20)
Mexican Recipes (33)
Riviera Maya Restaurants (72)
Mindful Traveler (49)
Yucatan Activities (44)
Riviera Maya Vacation Tips (144)
Mexico Vacation Tips (163)
Restaurant Reviews (8)
Interview with a Local (15)
"We have been Booking our Riviera Maya vacations from Loco Gringo since 2005. Always Great communication, helpful tips and quick responses to our questions. They were especially helpful when Hurricane Wilma hit and put a stop to our Vacation plans. They made sure we knew about the weather situation and did all the work with re-booking our vacation in Paradise!"
"Loco Gringo has an AWESOME website with great info, it is lots of fun to visit, be sure to join their forums. The forums hold more information and trip reports than you can 'shake a stick at'!"
"Thanks for everything you have done with Locogringo… the site is great and your staff has been nothing short of incredible when it comes to helping us plan our trips. Maybe we’ll run into you on one of your walks some day."
"and for the past five years we have used Loco Gringo for every reservation, I'm sorry that we did not find them sooner.
I have been searching Loco Gringo for all these years and one thing I have not yet found ........... someone who is not fabulous to work with. Great people, great owners and a great way to run a business."
--K & DB, Outer Banks, NC,
"What an amazing company Locogringo is. Every silly question I have.... they answer , If something comes up like a travel day change, adding more people, or whatever it might be... you get a response from a real person ... who seems to love what they do . That is hard to find these days and I really appreciate that."
"You always recommend amazing accommodations and we are always comfortable and feel safe. Your staff does a fantastic job at making our vacation each year a ” hassle free ” experience ! All we have to do is ” show up ” and the rest is already taken care of. We will continue in future to use LocoGringo and also continue as we have done already, to highly recommend your company to anyone we know that is planning a vacation."
--Nancy & Bill, Toronto, Canada
"We usually need reservations for 2 to 4 people but for 2 years we needed reservations for 7 to 9 people, adults and kids and they have always done a flawless job in getting the resort we wanted and at the best price too!!"
"It is like having a friend make your reservations for you .... we always feel comfortable knowing LG will be in charge of our arrangements because they know the area first hand, they live there ..... you ask a question and they answer it with good humor and great knowledge of what they speak. I will always recommend Loco Gringo in a heart beat!"
"Both in 2011 and this year we have booked our room through Locogringo.com. We searched and found a great rate at the resort we wanted, and then Locogringo met that price, and with their booking came their amazing customer service and the peace of mind that if we need anything while we are there we simply need to call. I always get a fast turnaround on any email I send them, and they work so hard to find us the best rates and the rooms we want. We hope to have a long relationship with them, and recommend their site to everyone we know."
--Tim A and Teri A, Salem, UT
"I just wanted to take a moment to say THANK YOU! The trip we booked through Loco Gringo was perfect! The price was exceptionally good and the service was second to none! If you’ve never booked with Loco Gringo before, we *highly* recommend them!"
"And their amazing website is one of the main reasons we started going regularly to the Riviera Maya and especially Akumal. No other place around the Caribbean has nearly as good a web presence as LG has given this area."
--Dan, St. Louis MO,
"It's a great comfort to visit the Riviera Maya and know that Loco Gringo is there to help, if needed. "
--Bryan in IN,
"Now is a great time to tell you how wonderful you and your staff are at making it so easy to find and book the best vacations, THANK YOU !"
--Joyce & Hugh,
"She & her new Husband had a fantastic hassle free trip. This was their very first time to Mexico and her comment upon return was " Dad, 7 days is NOT enough time ! " Super job, LG."
--Bernie in Denver,
"So here is a GREAT BIG TEXAS THANK YOU TO LOCO GRINGO for all the awesome, fantastic vacations in Paradise."
"I would recommend Locogringo to everyone I know. It is such a great service that they provide from researching and booking the perfect place to stay to finding all the needs you could possibly want during your stay. Thanks Locogringo."
"Not sure if we will be returning next summer, but will definitely let you know if we are, as Loco Gringo is the ONLY way to go for us!"
--Lesley P., Texas
""I was soooo delighted with the Loco Gringo services. Everything was trouble free and all my questions were always answered promptly. Thanks for a GREAT trouble free vacation!""
"Loco Gringos is the VERY BEST booking site I have ever worked with. They respond to emails promptly, work hard to honor special requests, answer questions etc. They ALWAYS take great care of their customers and are conscientious and professional at all times. We have booked 8 trips with this company and NEVER hesitate to use them or recommend them when traveling to the Riviera Maya."
"We spent a lot of our time sitting on the second floor porch with our feet propped on the railing just staring at the water. Coming home was hard this year..Staying for two weeks still wasn't long enough."
"...for your patience with me and making this process go soooo much smoother! I truly appreciate you and the staff at LocoGringo. Thanks again! I can't wait to be sitting on the beach!
Maggie in Colorado"
"People who “live the area” will want to make sure you enjoy your vacation and come back again!"
"I had contacted you before I left for my first trip to Mexico and all of your recommendations were spot on. I started in Playa Del Carmen and worked my way to Tulum. I had only expected to stay 2 nights there and instead wound up staying for a week-and that still was not nearly enough time. Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks! I will be checking in with you guys as I am tring to plan a trip to Holbox next. That place looks amazing!"
--Louis Skip Gonzalez, Unidos Magazine
"LocoGringo.com books total trip packages and I recommend LG to all my friends and even to strangers I hear talking about going to Mexico!!"
"When we use LG to book a trip we get immediate help with all of our questions in a very timely way by people who know what they are talking about and are extremely helpful, patient, knowledgeable, and congenial. They really get how to do customer service.
Once we book through LG we never have to worry about any of it again. We are always amazed at how smooth and trouble free our bookings through LG have been."
--K.B., Fort Worth, TX
"Go to the home page or check the forum."
"All our Riviera Maya trips have been booked using LocoGringo. We love their service."
"A company made up mostly of American Expats living in the Riviera Maya with a booking list of many hundreds of properties. Big enough to know each property intimately and small enough to know each customer personally. A level of service simply impossible for the giant companies to provide.
--Jim T., Colorado
"I will be bragging about your site to any and all who will listen. Our experience was phenomenal!!!"
"quick and informative replies from Bart ( thanks Bart) , easy booking procedure plus online management of your booking . I am highly impressed."
--Theressa - Middlesex U.K.,
"I have booked most of my Mayan Riviera trips through Loco Gringo and can only say I wouldn't even consider using anyone else to handle my bookings for stays in that area.
Their booking process is simple, fast and friendly, and they will answer your questions and queries until you are completely satisfied that every single detail has been taken care of.
Who else would know the area better than folks who live and work right there? Try to get that level of expertise and knowledge with a booking agent who lives and works several hundred, or even thousands of miles away.
Not only that, but they are genuinely nice people as well, who really care for their customers and the community and area that they call home
Keep up the great work Loco Gringo!!"
* Denotes A Required Field
How much are you thinking about spending?