Posted April 10, 2017 by Kay Walten in Activities,Hyper Local Info
Rainy vacation days don’t have suck. They are just another opportunity to explore something new, something different.
But if you are not familiar with the city you are visiting, rainy days can seem a challenge. We get it. This is why we made a list of things to do on a rainy day in the Riviera Maya. You can explore as much inside as you can outside when the weather is not cooperating on your vacation. Once you tackle this list, you may actually feel that a rainy day is a blessing not a curse.
1. Movie Lunch – We have nicknamed midday movies ‘movie lunch’ and have grown to love these escapes on a rainy or hot day. Local movie theaters have a huge selection of food. You can take a tray of your favorite delicacies directly to your seat without having to worry about spilling anything. And a weekday daytime move is cheap! Really, really cheap.
Large movie theaters can be found in Playa del Carmen and Cancun. If you like VIP viewing theaters Cancun has quite a few. Movies are in English with Spanish subtitles with the exception for children’s movies, which are only in Spanish. Search the Cinepolis and Cinemex websites to see what is playing today. Zine Tulum is a boutique movie house that has a full menu for their movie goers. Have a look at what they offer in case this is more your speed. Ad enjoy your own cabana when viewing movies. This is a private movie experience and unlike anything you would have tried before.
2. Playa del Carmen Aquarium – This indoor activity is perfect on a rainy day as you feel a part of the outside but stay dry! Check out the turtles, tropical fish, jelly fish, sharks and reptiles. Read more about the aquarium here.
3. Take a Cooking Class – Mexican Cooking Classes are offered in Tulum, Playa del Carmen and Puerto Morelos. If you want a fun activity on a dreary day, this is the ticket. Check out our Loco Gringo Directory for more details on local cooking classes. We recommend The Little Mexican Cooking School in Puerto Morelos, Lina’s Kitchen in Tulum and CoCo’s Cooking Classes in Playa del Carmen.
4. Long Lunch and Board Games – When was the last time you had a long lunch and played real live board games? Not video games but actual interactive board games. We think La Buena Vida in Akumal is the perfect place to do just this. Have a game of chess, play checkers, hang out and eat fresh fish, burritos or tacos. Watching the rain by the sea is such a glorious afternoon.
5. Evening of Comedy, Music and Fun in Puerto Morelos – La Sirena Restaurant in Puerto Morelos is known for its entertainment, but also known for its spontaneous promotions to inspire visitors. This year on National Margarita Day La Sirena celebrated by having a free margarita happy hour! If there is a rainy day, I would bet that Las Sirena would have something interested planned for their clients and friends. Check out their Facebook page for scheduled entertainment, but keep an eye on their page for spontaneous vacation acts of kindness!
6. Planetarium – There are four planetariums in the Riviera Maya – Cozumel, Cancun, Playa del Carmen and Chetumal. If a rainy day is feeling a bit drab, hop over to the closest planetarium and explore. There are activities for kids, adults, and those in between. All four planetariums have observatories, which are linked in a network so information is easily shared. This is a great place to hang day or night. Read about the Playa del Carmen Planetarium.
7. Cenote Tour – It seems odd to suggest a snorkel tour on a rainy day, but most caverns are naturally covered so you actually are unaware of the rain when exploring these beautiful areas. Rio Secreto, Dos Ojos, Aktun Chen are all good caverns to explore on a rainy day. If you are going to get wet, might as well go all the way!
What are your favorite rainy day activities in the Riviera Maya? Share your ideas with us on Facebook or snap a photo and share it on instagram.
Riviera Maya Activities (218)
Mexican Art (61)
Community Organizations (27)
Mexican Culture (178)
Mexico Destinations (129)
Family vacations (98)
Guest Bloggers (20)
Riviera Maya Photos (304)
Riviera Maya events (80)
Riviera Maya Services (64)
Sustainable Tourism (113)
Vacation tips (61)
Destination Weddings (32)
Costa Maya (14)
Loco Adventures (43)
Mayan Ruins (40)
Riviera Maya Destinations (251)
Community Announcements (20)
Mexican Recipes (36)
Riviera Maya Restaurants (74)
Mindful Traveler (49)
Yucatan Activities (47)
Riviera Maya Vacation Tips (154)
Mexico Vacation Tips (163)
Restaurant Reviews (8)
Interview with a Local (15)
Travel Tips (4)
Hyper Local Info (7)
City Information (4)
"Loco Gringo has an AWESOME website with great info, it is lots of fun to visit, be sure to join their forums. The forums hold more information and trip reports than you can 'shake a stick at'!"
"Both in 2011 and this year we have booked our room through Locogringo.com. We searched and found a great rate at the resort we wanted, and then Locogringo met that price, and with their booking came their amazing customer service and the peace of mind that if we need anything while we are there we simply need to call. I always get a fast turnaround on any email I send them, and they work so hard to find us the best rates and the rooms we want. We hope to have a long relationship with them, and recommend their site to everyone we know."
--Tim A and Teri A, Salem, UT
"Go to the home page or check the forum."
"I have booked most of my Mayan Riviera trips through Loco Gringo and can only say I wouldn't even consider using anyone else to handle my bookings for stays in that area.
Their booking process is simple, fast and friendly, and they will answer your questions and queries until you are completely satisfied that every single detail has been taken care of.
Who else would know the area better than folks who live and work right there? Try to get that level of expertise and knowledge with a booking agent who lives and works several hundred, or even thousands of miles away.
Not only that, but they are genuinely nice people as well, who really care for their customers and the community and area that they call home
Keep up the great work Loco Gringo!!"
"We have been Booking our Riviera Maya vacations from Loco Gringo since 2005. Always Great communication, helpful tips and quick responses to our questions. They were especially helpful when Hurricane Wilma hit and put a stop to our Vacation plans. They made sure we knew about the weather situation and did all the work with re-booking our vacation in Paradise!"
"We spent a lot of our time sitting on the second floor porch with our feet propped on the railing just staring at the water. Coming home was hard this year..Staying for two weeks still wasn't long enough."
"You always recommend amazing accommodations and we are always comfortable and feel safe. Your staff does a fantastic job at making our vacation each year a ” hassle free ” experience ! All we have to do is ” show up ” and the rest is already taken care of. We will continue in future to use LocoGringo and also continue as we have done already, to highly recommend your company to anyone we know that is planning a vacation."
--Nancy & Bill, Toronto, Canada
"It's a great comfort to visit the Riviera Maya and know that Loco Gringo is there to help, if needed. "
--Bryan in IN,
"Now is a great time to tell you how wonderful you and your staff are at making it so easy to find and book the best vacations, THANK YOU !"
--Joyce & Hugh,
"When we use LG to book a trip we get immediate help with all of our questions in a very timely way by people who know what they are talking about and are extremely helpful, patient, knowledgeable, and congenial. They really get how to do customer service.
Once we book through LG we never have to worry about any of it again. We are always amazed at how smooth and trouble free our bookings through LG have been."
--K.B., Fort Worth, TX
"I will be bragging about your site to any and all who will listen. Our experience was phenomenal!!!"
"quick and informative replies from Bart ( thanks Bart) , easy booking procedure plus online management of your booking . I am highly impressed."
--Theressa - Middlesex U.K.,
"I would recommend Locogringo to everyone I know. It is such a great service that they provide from researching and booking the perfect place to stay to finding all the needs you could possibly want during your stay. Thanks Locogringo."
"I had contacted you before I left for my first trip to Mexico and all of your recommendations were spot on. I started in Playa Del Carmen and worked my way to Tulum. I had only expected to stay 2 nights there and instead wound up staying for a week-and that still was not nearly enough time. Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks! I will be checking in with you guys as I am tring to plan a trip to Holbox next. That place looks amazing!"
--Louis Skip Gonzalez, Unidos Magazine
"A company made up mostly of American Expats living in the Riviera Maya with a booking list of many hundreds of properties. Big enough to know each property intimately and small enough to know each customer personally. A level of service simply impossible for the giant companies to provide.
--Jim T., Colorado
"Thanks for everything you have done with Locogringo… the site is great and your staff has been nothing short of incredible when it comes to helping us plan our trips. Maybe we’ll run into you on one of your walks some day."
"Loco Gringos is the VERY BEST booking site I have ever worked with. They respond to emails promptly, work hard to honor special requests, answer questions etc. They ALWAYS take great care of their customers and are conscientious and professional at all times. We have booked 8 trips with this company and NEVER hesitate to use them or recommend them when traveling to the Riviera Maya."
"LocoGringo.com books total trip packages and I recommend LG to all my friends and even to strangers I hear talking about going to Mexico!!"
"...for your patience with me and making this process go soooo much smoother! I truly appreciate you and the staff at LocoGringo. Thanks again! I can't wait to be sitting on the beach!
Maggie in Colorado"
"So here is a GREAT BIG TEXAS THANK YOU TO LOCO GRINGO for all the awesome, fantastic vacations in Paradise."
"We usually need reservations for 2 to 4 people but for 2 years we needed reservations for 7 to 9 people, adults and kids and they have always done a flawless job in getting the resort we wanted and at the best price too!!"
"Not sure if we will be returning next summer, but will definitely let you know if we are, as Loco Gringo is the ONLY way to go for us!"
--Lesley P., Texas
"and for the past five years we have used Loco Gringo for every reservation, I'm sorry that we did not find them sooner.
I have been searching Loco Gringo for all these years and one thing I have not yet found ........... someone who is not fabulous to work with. Great people, great owners and a great way to run a business."
--K & DB, Outer Banks, NC,
"All our Riviera Maya trips have been booked using LocoGringo. We love their service."
"It is like having a friend make your reservations for you .... we always feel comfortable knowing LG will be in charge of our arrangements because they know the area first hand, they live there ..... you ask a question and they answer it with good humor and great knowledge of what they speak. I will always recommend Loco Gringo in a heart beat!"
"I just wanted to take a moment to say THANK YOU! The trip we booked through Loco Gringo was perfect! The price was exceptionally good and the service was second to none! If you’ve never booked with Loco Gringo before, we *highly* recommend them!"
"What an amazing company Locogringo is. Every silly question I have.... they answer , If something comes up like a travel day change, adding more people, or whatever it might be... you get a response from a real person ... who seems to love what they do . That is hard to find these days and I really appreciate that."
"She & her new Husband had a fantastic hassle free trip. This was their very first time to Mexico and her comment upon return was " Dad, 7 days is NOT enough time ! " Super job, LG."
--Bernie in Denver,
"And their amazing website is one of the main reasons we started going regularly to the Riviera Maya and especially Akumal. No other place around the Caribbean has nearly as good a web presence as LG has given this area."
--Dan, St. Louis MO,
"People who “live the area” will want to make sure you enjoy your vacation and come back again!"
""I was soooo delighted with the Loco Gringo services. Everything was trouble free and all my questions were always answered promptly. Thanks for a GREAT trouble free vacation!""
* Denotes A Required Field
How much are you thinking about spending?