Rainy vacation days don’t have suck. They are just another opportunity to explore something new, something different.
But if you are not familiar with the city you are visiting, rainy days can seem a challenge. We get it. This is why we made a list of things to do on a rainy day in the Riviera Maya. You can explore as much inside as you can outside when the weather is not cooperating on your vacation. Once you tackle this list, you may actually feel that a rainy day is a blessing not a curse.
1. Movie Lunch – We have nicknamed midday movies ‘movie lunch’ and have grown to love these escapes on a rainy or hot day. Local movie theaters have a huge selection of food. You can take a tray of your favorite delicacies directly to your seat without having to worry about spilling anything. And a weekday daytime move is cheap! Really, really cheap.
Large movie theaters can be found in Playa del Carmen and Cancun. If you like VIP viewing theaters Cancun has quite a few. Movies are in English with Spanish subtitles with the exception for children’s movies, which are only in Spanish. Search the Cinepolis and Cinemex websites to see what is playing today. Zine Tulum is a boutique movie house that has a full menu for their movie goers. Have a look at what they offer in case this is more your speed. Ad enjoy your own cabana when viewing movies. This is a private movie experience and unlike anything you would have tried before.
2. Playa del Carmen Aquarium – This indoor activity is perfect on a rainy day as you feel a part of the outside but stay dry! Check out the turtles, tropical fish, jelly fish, sharks and reptiles. Read more about the aquarium here.
3. Take a Cooking Class – Mexican Cooking Classes are offered in Tulum, Playa del Carmen and Puerto Morelos. If you want a fun activity on a dreary day, this is the ticket. Check out our Loco Gringo Directory for more details on local cooking classes. We recommend The Little Mexican Cooking School in Puerto Morelos, Lina’s Kitchen in Tulum and CoCo’s Cooking Classes in Playa del Carmen.
4. Long Lunch and Board Games – When was the last time you had a long lunch and played real live board games? Not video games but actual interactive board games. We think La Buena Vida in Akumal is the perfect place to do just this. Have a game of chess, play checkers, hang out and eat fresh fish, burritos or tacos. Watching the rain by the sea is such a glorious afternoon.
5. Evening of Comedy, Music and Fun in Puerto Morelos – La Sirena Restaurant in Puerto Morelos is known for its entertainment, but also known for its spontaneous promotions to inspire visitors. This year on National Margarita Day La Sirena celebrated by having a free margarita happy hour! If there is a rainy day, I would bet that Las Sirena would have something interested planned for their clients and friends. Check out their Facebook page for scheduled entertainment, but keep an eye on their page for spontaneous vacation acts of kindness!
6. Planetarium – There are four planetariums in the Riviera Maya – Cozumel, Cancun, Playa del Carmen and Chetumal. If a rainy day is feeling a bit drab, hop over to the closest planetarium and explore. There are activities for kids, adults, and those in between. All four planetariums have observatories, which are linked in a network so information is easily shared. This is a great place to hang day or night. Read about the Playa del Carmen Planetarium.
7. Cenote Tour – It seems odd to suggest a snorkel tour on a rainy day, but most caverns are naturally covered so you actually are unaware of the rain when exploring these beautiful areas. Rio Secreto, Dos Ojos, Aktun Chen are all good caverns to explore on a rainy day. If you are going to get wet, might as well go all the way!