Exercising outside just seems to make a work out better and faster! There are some cool places to work out in the Riviera Maya that will take you to some pretty spectacular outdoor spaces. Views of the sea while you are taking care of yourself is just one way and a nice way to spice up your work out.
We are talking workouts that are not in a gym. If a gym is your place, local gyms are great and have state of the art equipment. Each Riviera Maya city has at least one great gym that offers weekly or day passes for visitors.
Local Gyms in Riviera Maya Cities
Puerto Morelos – Alligators Gym – just south of Chedraui on the 307 highway at Transatlantic Avenue
Playa del Carmen – The Gym on 1st street just south of Constityentes or Evolve Gym on 24th Street between 5th and 10th Avenue
Akumal Area – TAO Fitness Center – Just south of Akumal center in the Bahia Principe residential area.
Tulum – Evolve Tulum Gym – Located on the Center of Tulum on the main highway.
Outdoor Exercise Options for Workouts
Okay so let’s get out of the gym and workout in some super cool places. Some of these workout options are free, some are paid for options. Take your pick
- Swim or Snorkel in the Sea. If you are a good swimmer or love to snorkel, these free workouts will have you in the Caribbean Sea loving your daily exercise. We do recommend that you swim or snorkel with buddy for safety. The sea is calm and safe, but all water sports need a buddy for extra safety.
- Walk or Run on the Beach. This is a great way to be outside and get a good and free work out.
- Walk 5th Avenue in Playa del Carmen. This is a great morning work out and you wont be alone. Runners and walkers take advantage of the shade on 5th Avenue in the morning. The entire length of this pedestrian walkway from the main pier to very end of the street is 5.5 kilometers. If you are staying in Playacar and want to run or walk the Playacar loop, that is a 5km trip.
- Tulum has a unique jungle gym on the beach where you can work out overlooking the Caribbean using the beach as your gym floor. The Jungle Gym is located at km 7.5 on the Tulum Beach room and is open from 8 am to 12 noon. This is fun and can be as challenging as you want.
- Yoga in any Riviera Maya city is a great work out choice. With instructors from all over the world coming to the area, you can find yoga on the beach, overlooking the sea or on hotel rooftops overlooking the Caribbean without the distraction of sand on your mat. We do love Tribal Yoga in Tulum where their studio overlooks the jungle.
- Crossfit – If you want to get a good sweat going, Crossfit is a great way to kick up your work out. Local Crossfit gyms use outside and indoor spaces for your work out.
- Long Distance Bike Rides – Local Race Bike Stores out of Cancun and Playa del Carmen hold morning long distance rides along the 307 highway. These rides are vehicle escorted for safety. Join groups of up to 30 or 40 riders who love taking advantage of this sea level location.
If you are hoping to do a race while in Mexico, triathalons, adventure races and marathons are popular. Cool Alert – There are some night marathons, which are hard to come by. Cozumel and Xcaret are known for their triathalons, where as Playa del Carmen, Cancun and Merida are known for their half and full marathons. Dates and races are changing constantly so do a quick search online for the latest races.
Do you have a favorite place to work out in the Riviera Maya? Let us know so we can hook up and work out with you.