5 Fun things to do and see in Cozumel
There is so much to do in the Riviera Maya, it’s easy forget that Cozumel Island is just a ferry boat ride away. Cozumel is an easy day trip to can add some unforgettable variety to your next Riviera Maya vacation. It’s actually very different than the mainland and really has that Caribbean island feel, in this case, a world famous one, known for its spectacular reefs.
The name Cozumel came from its Mayan name “Cuzamil”, Place of Swallows. It’s a carefree island where divers and sea-lovers from around the world come to SCUBA dive, snorkel and enjoy the good life Caribbean style.
Make a day of it in Cozumel! Grab the morning ferry from central Playa del Carmen and return to the mainland at the end of the day! It’s easy and you’ll have a blast!
- For divers, Palancar Reef and Santa Rosa Wall should be on your must do list. Dive with our amigo Aramis Abram at DiveMex in Playa del Carmen. They can set you up the whole trip, including ferry tickets, lunch, two dives and equipment if you need it.
- See Cozumel on the SUP (stand up paddle) Tour with Ha’Haak Paddleboarding
- Get a rental buggy and drive down the east side of the island. Make sure to stop at some of the little bars and restaurants along the way. Our favorite is the landmark bar, Mezcalitos. Its a family-owned watering-hole open since 1979.
- Climb the historic Celarain Lighthouse at the Punta Sur Eco Beach Park,the largest ecological reserve in Cozumel
- For delicious fresh seafood try Pescaderia San Carlos on Calle 3, this off-the-beaten-path seafood shop offers fresh ceviche, fish and shrimp.
Just ask our team how we can make your vacation an experience you’ll never forget!
- Dave Tomlinson has been living in Playa del Carmen for over 22 years, with his dive center running for over 18 years. Dave has witnessed first hand the evolution of Playa del Carmen from its beginning; a small fishing village that was the gateway to Cozumel Island. His experiences and insight into both the changes…
- Taking the plunge in Cozumel Embarrassing as it is to admit, it's been several years since my last visit to Cozumel Island, even though I live less than 30 miles away in Akumal Mexico, on the mainland Riviera Maya. So last month when I was invited to dive Cozumel with fellow Loco Gringo Scott Brown…
- Scuba diving is not just for the vacations in the Riviera Maya or Cozumel. It's an easy activity where you learn some basic underwater skills so you can fulfill your Jacques Cousteau fantasies. Many of your local YMCA's and area dive shops will be offering Open Water Certification programs. The minimum age to begin is…
- Plans for new planetarium in Playa del Carmen In 2015, a planetarium will be built in Playa. This will be the fourth planetarium in the State of Quintana Roo. The Cancun planetarium Ka´Yok´ has been open about 1 year, Cozumel is just about complete, and the third is in the state's capital city of Chetumal.…