Phone Home from the Riviera Maya
So many places have wifi now it is easy to call home to talk to friends, loved ones, and , we hope you don’t have to call into the office…. you’re on vacation! A few internet calling systems work that you may want to consider to avoid astronomical long distance or data roaming charges on your cell phone, or pay your hotel on direct dial calls.
Apps and other internet services to call home while on vacation
- Skype is the service many of us use at Loco Gringo to call home, and we couldn’t be happier. It’s free!
- Apple FaceTime allows you to communicate with other Apple devices through Wi-Fi without charges. Just make sure that you have your facetime set to work over wi-fi only to avoid data roaming charges. Go to “settings,” scroll down to “FaceTime,” then scroll down and make sure that “Use Cellular Data” is turned OFF
- Tango is an app that you can use to call or text via wifi.
- Google voice if you have a gmail account you can access google voice, and establish a phone number. The google voice system allows sms to email, voice mail and many other features. For international calling they do charge a few cents per minute.
- Whatsapp is a free downloadable app where you can text message other people who use whatsapp. The key here is to have your friends and family use it so you can text message them.
- Viber is another great app which some of our staff uses with very clear reception. Free text, calling, photo messages and location-sharing with Viber users. Viber is available over WiFi or 3G. Once you and your friends install Viber, you can use it to talk and message as much as you want. Talk, message, and talk and message some more – for free on Wifi (When you use Viber on a 3G network you may be charged by your carrier). You can also call any number that doesn’t have Viber at low rates using ViberOut. As of this writing Viber has been offering the better call quality over Skype in our experience.
Make sure to ask our staff about wifi services at your vacation rental while you are here in Akumal, Tulum, Playa del Carmen or Puerto Morelos.
One small disclaimer…. please keep in mind that just like your internet at home, sometimes the internet goes out or is slow.